|Physical and Vital Statistics|
Five is a government operative and nuclear scientist affiliated with NEST, an organization within the United States' Federal Bureau of Investigation. She travels to Japan to assist in investigations regarding the terrorist attack.
Of petite frame, Five sports gleaming purple eyes and lipstick of lilac shade and a single earring on her left ear. She has ecru-colored hair and is normally seen donning a peplum-like black blazer with a blue singlet inside with shorts complete with thigh-high grey socks of uneven length on both side of her legs. She is seen with a blue and red bracelet in the official concept art but in one episode, she is seen wearing a gold watch and a mustard singlet instead.
Five is childishly sadistic, having fun in making people suffer and usually portraying a cold demeanor. She also likes playing psychological games, as shown when she transformed an airport into a chess board in order to "play" with Sphinx. She is highly competitve and persists in chasing Nine in order to beat him in something, which she couldn't do in the past. By the tenth episode, she corners Nine to the point where it would have been game over. This is her victory, which satisfies her and she ends her own life.
On a deeper level, her actions suggest she is a lonely person wishing for human connection, especially from Nine - whom she has admired or, at least, respected as a worthy opponent. It may be speculated that she is jealous of the bond between Nine and Twelve.
Five's job is described as a researcher from an American organization called "Nuclear Emergency Support Team". She travels to Japan to assist in investigations regarding the terrorist attack, but her true desire is to play a game with Nine and Twelve again.
During the attack on the train (Episode 5) she orders the police to not remove the bomb and hacks into Nine's computer. She has proof of Sphinx's theft of the plutonium, but won't release the information to the Japanese police because she believes they're incompetent, having been unable to stop the duo's actions to date.
In Episode 6, Five poses as Sphinx and broadcasts a public text: "GIGFHEEGMHJL FD. Gaius Julius Ceasar gone to Arab. Sphinx," a riddle that can only be decoded via Caesar cipher to be the coordinates leading to Haneda Airport's International Terminal, one of the locations targeted by Nine and Twelve. She places a bomb somewhere at the airport, knowing that Nine and Twelve will come to detonate it because if they don't, she'll pin the blame on them. At the airport, she decides to play a chess-like game with Sphinx, using the terminal as her chessboard and the surveillance camers as her "eyes."Nine and Twelve decide to play along with Five's chess game. Everything was going acording to her plan, but she didn't notice that Twelve hacked into the camera system and brought the recordings back by five minutes, allowing Nine to rush to Five's location without being detected. She rushed out of the van, but she was too late. Nine was already standing there confronting her with a gun, demanding to know why she is getting in the way of his and Twelve's plans. She responds that she wants to settle something with him, then reveals her knowledge of Lisa being an accomplice and that she is being held captive at the bomb's location. Airport police then arrive and fire at Nine, forcing him away. Five continued her plan and the plane with the bomb in it started moving towards the terminal. But Shibazaki enters the control room with a gun and forces one of the operators to divert the plane away from the terminal. Then the plane explodes without injuring anyone. Five manages to escape, and it is revealed that she has Lisa's school ID. Looking at it, she smiles and says, "I won't let you get away again."
As a child, Five was kept in an institution. It is heavily implied that a fire broke at the institution; it is later revealed that Nine and Twelve started the fire. Twelve, Nine and Five tried to escape, but the only ones who managed to escape were Nine and Twelve, leaving Five behind. As stated in the sixth episode, Five could have went along with them, but she decided to stay behind. This resulted her being found by the American government. Her only reason for continuing to live on is because she desires to beat Nine, something she couldn't have done before.
- The romanji for her name is "haivu" in order to sound like the English pronunciation, "five."
- She is cruel and without sympathy for the death of others. Instances include her willingness to allow one of Sphinx's bombs detonate (ep. 5), placing a bomb in a plane (episode 7), mailing a bomb to Lisa (episode 8), strapping a jacket of bombs on Lisa (episode 9) and shooting at a van that contains Nine (episode 10).
- She makes her first appearance in episode 5 (If you ignore her other appearances in flashbacks).
- Her death occurs in episode 10, which is five episodes away from her first appearance.
- Her actual death differs from her assumed death, but both involve fire.
- She is highly competitive and persists in chasing Nine in order to beat him in something, which she couldn't do in the past. By the tenth episode, she corners Nine to the point where it would have been game over. This was her victory, which satisfied her. As she had nothing else in her life to do upon completing her goal in defeating Nine, she chooses to end her own life.
- Her associated color from the Icelandic flag is white.
- In the end of episode five, Five's nail was painted in the three colours of the Icelandic flag.